So I had this conversation with Neil and his parents a few weeks back and I have been thinking about it ever since. And I was wondering what other people thought. Or to be more specific, how other people thought.
So here is the story. . .
We were sitting at the table and Anna was just "talking" up a storm and we were all watching her and laughing and enjoying her antics, when Pops (Neil's dad) said, "Do you think she (Anna) thinks she is saying all those words right?" So we asked what he meant and this is the jest from my own point of view. It is like when you hear someone speaking Chinese and you start to make the sounds and you think to yourself, "Wow I actually sound pretty close, I wonder if I said anything?" When you know in real life you sound like an idiot and no real words can out of your mouth in any language. Pops was wondering if babies were kind of like that. In that they hear us talking all the time and they don't "understand" the word, they just hear the sound. So when they start "talking" maybe they think they are pretty close to the real thing (of talking).
So that got us going on how babies think. And Neil said to his dad, "Do you think in words?" And his dad said well yeah.
So the next day we got in to the "How do you think?" conversation with James and Erica. We were talking about how to get to a restaurant and we were telling what we "saw" in our head when we hear the restaurants name (which was El Mariachi's on Churn Creek)(because I know you are going to want to know!)
So I think I have discovered that I don't see my thoughts, I actually just hear them, like someone (myself, I suppose) is talking in my head. (No need for jokes on that last comment thank you!) But Neil said he can see is thoughts.
So really I was wondering "HOW" do you think. Do you see pictures of the item or place? Is it in color or black and white? Do you see words or hear words? You know, whatever it is. I was just curious, because I am weird like that, my family will tell you. But really since I have been thinking about it for so long, I thought maybe other people would think it is interesting too.
So let me know not what you think of this, but how you think. Thanks!
4 comments:
I definitely think in pictures. If you tell me the name of a place I will "think visually" of where it is located and all the surrounding area. That is why when I have gone somewhere for the first time it is usually not how I pictured it in my mind. Does that make sense?
Brenda
I totally agree with Brenda, I see pictues and imaginw what things look like before I see them.
This is going to be a unanimous vote on here unless a man puts his opinion down. Because I would say that it is a right vs left side of the brain thing and in most cases we see pictures of the place where as a man would see his words. Boy that statement sure does comlicate things, seeing as men are usually visual creatures and now I have just said that they most likely see words. I DONT SEE WORDS I SEE PICTURES IN MY HEAD.
OK reading everyone elses comments I see memories and pictures but I also spend a great deal of time talking to myself in my head. Thinking of what is next, what I want... what it all means, which I think applies to babies more. I have this debate with myself and others also. Here is my theory, they don't know that we are saying means anything. They think they are doing what we do... As they get older even more so. Wesley full on thinks he is saying things. I think I would do a better job figuring out Chinese then to decode his babbles :). Anyways. I wondered babies could have thoughts, they certianly don't have much to recall or a memory to look back on. How do they know what they want, know they are unhappy. How do that come to that point?? How to they think themseleves through it.
Ok long thoughts... sorry
JB
Post a Comment