Monday, March 10, 2008

Update on Anna's Hospital Stay

Well, this week has not gone at all how I thought it would when it started on Monday. On Friday last week Anna had a crazy cough, but that was nothing new (she has had some sot of cough since Thanksgiving) On Saturday night she got a small fever and coughed so bad she started throwing up. So Sunday morning I called her doctor. He said that I should feel free to take her to the ER and if they thought she needed anything they would call him. Well, I decided to let her rest all day on Sunday. We didn’t go anywhere or do anything except eat and sleep. She seemed to be doing so much better that night. So Monday we went back to life a little bit. We are so close to finishing the house! Monday night went ok, but she woke up a lot.
Tuesday morning she was so lethargic. Totally unresponsive and didn’t care about anything. It was so sad. So I called the doctor as soon as they opened. I said, “My baby doesn’t feel good and I would like to see the doctor.” “Okay, I have a 10:45.” “I’ll be there”. Click
Well, needless to say he admitted us in to the hospital. I realize I am such a nerd. But this was a little stupid. When the doctor said that she needed to be on oxygen, I thought okay great! That’s easy. I’ll go to the hospital, they’ll put a mask on her, she’ll breath and we’ll leave. 3 hours tops. Well, 4 days later we are still here!
I swear I am going to gain 20 pounds being here. All I do is sit and eat and watch Anna sleep. I am loving all the goodies I am getting, but I swear if I leave here and weigh more I am going to be mad! The hospital food is surprisingly good.
As of Friday night they still don’t know when we can go home. It all depends on when Anna can breath on her own again. They keep trying to wean her down, but every time we get to a 1/2 a liter she just can’t hold it. So we wait. I told Anna if she stays sick long enough maybe we will have a house to take her home to. Poor Neil is working so hard on the house. And since I am here he is making all the decisions on lighting fixtures and carpet and tile. So when I get to go see it again it is going to be such a surprise! Neil brought Anna flowers tonight. They are so pink and pretty. She seemed to really like to look at them. It was so cute and the little card actually made me get a little teary eyed!
She has been really great today. She has been interested on what is going on around her and talking (complaining) to her nurses. And her color is pink again. She is so cute! The nurses have been really great and our stay has been mostly comfortable. She looks so sad with all these cords coming off of her. I am glad that she is not mobile yet. She just lets me hold her or sleeps.
I am REALLY BUMBED that Anna and I are going to miss Emily’s first birthday party. It is going to be so cute and I can not believe I am going to miss that cute hat on her head!
They said that Anna will be contagious for at least four days even after we get to go home. Well, if you made it to the end of these post congratulations. This is even the short version of what has happened.
Thank you to everyone that has called or come by to check on us. I have really appreciated the contact with the outside world. I just wanted to give everyone an update and to say THANK YOU so much for praying for us. I know that it has given me peace to just let Anna heal. I also thought you might like to see some pictures of my sad little girl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you guys and of course we're praying for our sweet Anna! Can't wait until she gets to come home, all healthy. Call us if we can do anything at all! PS- We picked a name!

James and Erica

Kristen said...

I had no idea that you guys were there that long! I hope shes better soon!

The Hathaways said...

Oh my gosh, i didn't even know she was in the hospital! I hope she's doing better now. What did the doctor say was wrong with her? She's such a cute little girl.
p.s. I liked vantage point but didnt love it. Loved fools gold though :)